This year’s Missions Conference will focus on “Prayer: The Fuel for Missions.” The Missions Conference runs the month of February 2020. We have a great line-up of activities and speakers throughout the month. Don’t miss a single event.
- February 2 – Pastor Nate kicks off Missions Month talking about God answering prayers for bearing fruit in our service to Him. Delmarva Adult and Teen Challenge, a new ministry partner for BVBC, will be here to talk about the epidemic of addiction and ask the Lord for help to fight this battle in Delaware.
- February 9 – This week we will study our Lord’s command to pray to the Lord of the harvest for laborers. Our emphasis is that every single Christian is called to be on mission. The question is not IF but HOW and WHERE.
- February 16 – Pastor Steve Njenga, our missionary from Kenya, will preach this Sunday.
- February 21 – The Missions Dinner is on Friday, February 21 starting at 6 p.m. See below for details about the Dinner and the kids’ program.
- February 23 – Pastor Nate concludes Mission Month focusing on prayer and Gospel opportunities. We will study Paul’s requests for missional prayers in his various letters. All of these prayers are focused on the work of the gospel throughout the world. We will talk about the importance of intercessory prayer for our missionaries around the world. Missionaries Steve and Mary Njenga will be speaking downstairs in the Fellowship Hall at 9 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. about their ministry.
Faith Promise is an offering taken annually to support special missions projects. The money is supposed to come from “found money” (a tax refund, overtime work, etc.) or as a conviction from God that you should give a specific amount to His work instead of spending it on something else. This year’s goal is $20,000 and it will be shared between ministries of Steve and Mary Njenga, scholarships for families participating in the summer Kenya mission trip, and Tim Santa Barbara, our newest missionary with Prison Outreach of Delaware.
To donate to this fund, pick up a green Faith Promise card from the pew rack beginning February 2. Place that card and your donation in an envelope and put them in the offering plate by Sunday, March 1. Make checks payable to BVBC and write “faith promise” in the memo line. You can also give online. Select “Faith Promise” as the Designation when giving online.
Results: You far exceeded this year’s goal by donating over $40,000! Thank you for your generosity. The Njenga’s, missionaries in Africa, will receive $25,000 to build a water reservoir to collect drinking water for the school and facilities in their ministry. $10,000 has been put aside for our church’s mission trip to Africa. Tim Santa Barbara will receive $5,800 to help with the beginning of his mission work with Prison Outreach of Delaware, Inc.
After the dinner, the adults will partake in a Q&A with the Njengas about how God is working in their ministry. Pastor Nate will host the Q&A session. Meanwhile children in 5th grade and under are invited to attend the Kids’ Mission Program. Children will be split up by ages (nursery, preschool, or elementary) and will learn about and experience Kenyan culture. When you purchase tickets for the dinner please include the names and ages of children attending the Kids’ Mission Program. Any adults or teens who would like to help with the children’s program should contact Kristi Pullig.
The cost of the dinner is $5/person with a maximum of $20/family of 4+. Purchase tickets in the Lobby on Sunday mornings February 2-16 or call the church office. Deadline is February 16. You MUST purchase a ticket in advance to attend the dinner, tickets will NOT be sold at the door.
Classic Kenyan Stewed Beef (Nyama)
Kenyan Salad (Kachumbari)
Kenyan Sponge Cake (Mkate wa Mayai)
Mac-n-cheese is available for children 12 and under
ABOUT OUR MISSIONARIES:
Pastor Steve and Mary Njenga work in the village of Eburru, Kenya with Camp Brethren Ministries (CBM). Much of this work is focused in church planting, care for the destitute and orphans, education through the Christian Elementary and High School, health services through CBM Medical Center and discipleship ministry training.
SUMMER MISSION TRIPS:
Each summer the Student Ministry offers short-term summer mission trips for students in grades 7-12. This year’s trips are to West Virginia, the Adirondack Mountains and Jamaica. For more information about these trips please contact Melissa Stein.
In addition to these trips we are sponsoring two other trips:
- Bahamas Hurricane Relief Mission Trip, June 6-12, 2020. This trip is designed for college-age or twenty-something adults. There is an Information Meeting for this trip on Sunday, February 9 at 11:30 a.m. in Pastor Matthew McNutt’s office. Learn more about this trip.
- Kenya Mission Trip, July 4-17, 2020. This trip is designed for families. There is an Information Meeting for this trip on Sunday, February 23 at 11:45 a.m. in Pastor Nate Keeler’s office. Learn more about this trip.