VIRTUAL CHRISTMAS CHOIR – “JOY TO THE WORLD (JOYFUL JOYFUL)”
Due date for submissions: Saturday, December 5, 2020
Please find the sheet music pdf and links to backing tracks below.
- Pay attention to clean & crisp cutoffs
- Try to match voice in the soundtrack recording for rhythms & cutoffs
- It is important to keep time with the metronome – do not slow down or speed up – stay with the click track for your tempo
- Practice several times through before recording yourself. Record when you are confident enough to not need the music much if at all.
- Look at the camera while singing as much as possible!!!
- Smile and look joyful!!!
Wardrobe: Please wear bright Christmas colors – solids or big bold patterns are best (ex. solid reds, solid greens, gold/bling – big, bold patterns) for your video.
Background/Setting: If you are recording in the studio at church, you don’t need to worry about background. If you are recording at home, record yourself in front of plain/solid color wall (try to leave the room, furniture, etc. out of the picture). If at all possible, have a lamp/light shining on your face or be facing a bright light fixture in the room.
Sheet music (pdf)
Please note: all choir parts begin recording at measure 48 (the 2nd verse). There will be a 16 measure instrumental lead-in on the track, and you will be instructed when to start with a count-in.
For singers who prefer to record in the church’s virtual choir studio with Larisa: Please click this link and sign up for a 1/2 hour time slot to record at the church’s new “virtual choir studio.”
For singers who can do it themselves at home: You will need two (2) devices (smartphone, laptop, computer, tablet, etc.) and earbuds/ headphones.
- Open the mp3 soundtrack for your voice part on a device (computer, laptop, etc.)
- Plug your earbuds or headset into this device. You will sing along with the mp3 soundtrack while recording yourself on another device.
- Use your smartphone or other digital recording device to record your video
- It works best to prop this against something or in a tripod if you have one so that it does not shake or you can hold sheet music as necessary.
- You can either hold your sheet music like a choral singer (in a folder) OR place your sheet music on stand or prop it up in a spot beyond your video camera where it will not make a lot of noise when you turn pages – please keep page turning noise to a minimum!
- Try to sing and emote/be expressive into the camera as much as you can while reading your music – it’s okay if you glance back and forth (you will not be on screen for the entire video). Just try to look into the camera for the sung phrases and look at your music during rests/ breaks.
SUBMITTING VIDEO FILE:
Those recording with Larisa do not need to worry about this step. For those recording themselves, since your video will likely be too big to send by email it is easiest to send it via a link in Google Drive. Most smartphones have an option to send/share your video directly to Google drive. You can upload the video to your google drive and then share it with Matt Kelley at [email protected].
You may also send by flash drive (by mail or drop off at the church). If you need help figuring out how to do any of this, you can contact Larisa via email or 610-306-0186 (text/call) for assistance.
Please email Matt Kelley separately to let him know you sent the file. He will confirm that he received it. If he does not confirm receipt with you, he has not received it.
Remember, the submission deadline is Saturday, December 5, 2020.