Here at BVBC, we value choral traditions in communally singing our praise to God. To honor the various degrees of skill levels in our community, to worship with diversity and versatility, and to maintain a high standard of excellence in the quality of our musical worship, we offer three choral opportunities. They are as follows:
- Worship Choir
- Jubilate Deo
- Combined Choir (Seasonal)
Worship Choir is made up of both new and seasoned singers. Basic qualifications to participate in Worship Choir: singers must be able to match pitches and accurately sing a melodic line. Ability to read music is helpful, but not required. Weekly rehearsals are on Wednesdays from 7-8:30 p.m. from September – May. This choir will sing approximately 2-3 times per month during the program year which goes from Labor Day through mid-June. Meeting with director necessary to participate.
Contact Worship & Music Administrative Assistant Cassie Armstrong for more information. or see below of qualifications and evaluation process.
Director: Regina Ontjes. Accompanist: Shannon Miller
Jubilate Deo is an ensemble of advanced singers who learn new music quickly. Sight-reading ability is preferred. Rehearsals are held twice per month. This choir sings approximately once per month year-round. Meeting with or invitation from director necessary to participate.
Contact Regina Ontjes for more information.
Combined Choir (Seasonal)
Director: Staff and lay members share directing/accompanying roles.
One large choir formed for special occasions throughout the year (summer pick-up, Easter, Christmas cantata, special services, etc.). All are invited to participate in this choir regardless of skill level or experience. Rehearsals and presentation dates to be announced publicly.
Contact Worship & Music Administrative Assistant Cassie Armstrong for more information.
The purpose of the Choirs is to Sacrificially Lead Worship with Excellent Choral Music
- Worship with Excellence – To bring glory to God through prepared, artistic, and skillful choral singing, assisting singers of the church to develop their musical talents
- Leadership in Worship – To mutually encourage and support corporate singing at traditional services
- Sacrificial Service – To reflect Christ and edify the church by serving sacrificially through rehearsals, regularly assisting at traditional worship services and occasional contemporary services, and presenting special services as needed
Choir Member Expectations
- Attitude of Christ-centered service and building others up
- Prompt attendance at rehearsals and services at which your choir is singing (9:00 a.m. Traditional Service, occasionally at 10:30 a.m. Contemporary Service)
- Focused and active participation during worship services at which the choir is singing
- Seeking out help with parts/personal rehearsal at home as needed
Qualifications and Evaluation Process for Worship Choir
- Singer must read and understand Worship Choir Purpose & Process for Participation
- Singer must be able to vocally match given pitches and basic exercises
- Singer must be able to sing a simple song accurately
Evaluation of Prospective Choir Members:
- Meet with the choir director
- Singer must receive/read music ministry purpose and expectations before meeting with choir director
- Choir director will set mutually convenient evaluation time (20 minutes) with singer
- Choir director and singer will discuss expectations for participating in music ministry
- Short pitch-matching evaluation
- Sing “Amazing Grace” or similar familiar hymn in relative range, a cappella
- (Optional) To be considered for solos, please bring 1-2 pieces of your preference demonstrating your vocal strengths to share with director.
- Yes – Singer will be invited to join the Worship Choir and given appropriate instructions.
- Not Yet – Singer will be urged to participate in the Combined Choir for experience, be given direction for improvement/growth, and/or be invited to a future re-evaluation.
- No – Only for singers who cannot match pitches at all. Singer’s information will be shared with the Connections Team to help find another area of service or ministry in the church that is better suited for his/her gifts.
Learn more about the Worship & Music Ministry.