GO Week Thank You
During GO Week 2023, our church was on the move, in His power, love and self-discipline. We want to thank each and every person that took part in this amazing week of demonstration and declaration of the Gospel.
Over 200 people served in a GO Week Project! Here are some of the ways we were On the Move:
- A team created and wrote encouragement cards that will be distributed to first responders and nursing homes in our community.
- Many went personally to their neighbors in creative ways, demonstrating the Gospel in tangible acts of love.
- A week-long construction project successfully enlarged the Sunday Breakfast Mission’s Vintage Thrift Store, expanding its impact in the community.
- Eight meal shifts were covered at the Sunday Breakfast Mission. We had a team at the Mission every day of the week!
- Five teams served at UrbanPromise elementary school or after school camps.
- A team organized and prepared furniture for Foster Well.
- A team cleaned the UrbanPromise Academy.
- A team did yard work at the Ronald McDonald House.
- Three teams picked up trash and weeded in city parks.
- A men’s team and a women’s team led the men’s and women’s chapels at Sunday Breakfast Mission.
- A team prepared decorations for VBS.
- A team sorted clothes at Friendship House.
- A group sewed quilts that will be sent around the world.
- A group made blankets that will be distributed locally to those in need.
- One small group prepared two chapel services for Maris Grove residents. Members from our choir and residents from Maris Grove that attend Brandywine sang hymns with people who cannot come to church.
- One small group rebuilt a deck for a family in need.
- One group hosted a lemonade stand with proceeds helping a family with a medical need. The group’s children helped with this ministry.
- One group served a meal to five different foster families. Teenagers helped with the food prep and delivery.
- One group cleaned a home of a disabled caregiver within the city limits of Wilmington.
- Twelve scouts, parents and leaders tackled a list of outdoor chores for a local church: dug a drainage ditch and swale, installed new signage, painted outdoor railings, repaired screens, repositioned concrete parking stops and pulled weeds.
- One family put out a simple Facebook post that read: “Anyone know of a neighbor in need of some help around the yard/house? My family and I would like to volunteer our time to help someone as part of our Church’s GO Week.” Within a day the family had three requests from three different people for yard work and small repairs. They were able to involve their entire family.
In your brokenness and your busyness, the enemy wants us to think that we don’t have time and that our problems are too big for us to take the message of Jesus to someone personally.
It’s in our exact current situation, no matter how broken or busy we are…it’s in this exact place…that Jesus wants us to speak up! And that’s what GO Week is all about.
Stay tuned for more opportunities to GO, as we continue to be a Church on the Move.
GO Week 2023 Schedule
Below is the schedule for the week, to give you a better idea of the experience of GO Week:
- Sunday Morning (May 7): GO Week begins with normally scheduled worship services that will include a GO Week Theme. All services and classes are on normal schedule.
- Sunday 4pm: One4Wilmington Prayer Meeting in partnership with our local sister churches.
- Monday-Friday (May 8-12): Daily serve opportunities during the day and in the evening.
- Saturday (May 13) 9am – 2pm: Organized projects with our gospel partners.
Who: Everyone – this is an all-church serve week!
When: May 7-13, 2023
Where: Throughout our Wilmington, Delaware communities and the surrounding area
Why: Simple acts of personal kindness can open hearts to the love of Jesus for both those being served and those serving. We also want to increase both our demonstration and declaration of the Gospel. You will be equipped with a conversational guide to use throughout the week. Ultimately, we want to continue to be a Church on the Move, taking Jesus to our neighborhoods and city.
When can I register? Registration is open April 23 – May 7.
What type of work will we do and where? We’ve broken down the registration into three categories. See the GO Week Project List:
- GO to your NEIGHBOR – This registration option is for small groups / individuals / families that are planning their own unique serve or community connection project. We challenge you to select a time during the week to intentionally serve or bless your neighbor or someone you know that could use some help. This option gives you the most flexibility to serve as the Lord’s hands and feet in the community, as it allows you to design when, where and how you serve. See below GO to Your Neighbor Project Examples.
- GO into the COMMUNITY – This registration option allows you to work with one of our Ministry Partners and local community organizations. Some of these projects require a willingness to get a little dirty. Please be sure to dress appropriately for the project. See below.
- GO in the CHURCH – These are projects that will be done in the church Fellowship Hall on GO Week. We designed these projects for those who may have limitations to GO into the city or community. See below.
*Unless noted with an asterisk*, all projects are child and family-friendly. See the Project List for complete details about age requirements.
GO to Your NEIGHBOR Project Examples
- Host outdoor games for your neighbors.
- Sidewalk-chalk your street with encouraging notes.
- Make and deliver breakfast casseroles to neighbors.
- Make and deliver cards/gift bags to elderly neighbors.
- Organize a park clean-up.
- Organize a small project for a single mom on your block.
- Organize a yard sale with the proceeds going to charity.
- Go to a playground, hand out donuts & coffee, and engage in conversation.
- Contact a nursing home and do a small project for them.
- Make and deliver care bags for teachers at an elementary school.
Let us know how you’ve reached out to your neighbors. Email us a short description of our experince!
Struggling to start a conversation with your neighbor? Here are some suggestions.
GO in the COMMUNITY Projects
- Can-Do Park
- Brandywine Park
- Brown-Burton Winchester Park
- Foster Well*
- Friendship House
- Ronald McDonald House
- Sunday Breakfast Mission*
GO in the CHURCH Projects
- Greeting cards
- No-sew blankets
- VBS Decor*
When: Sunday, May 7, 4-5pm (refreshments available starting at 3:30pm). We encourage you to arrive early. There is plenty of on-street parking and limited parking in the lot.
Where: City Church Wilmington at 1201 N Van Buren St Wilmington, DE (at the Ursuline Academy Performing Arts Center)
Why: One of the primary means of evangelism and outreach is prayer. During this multi-church gathering, we will pray corporately and in groups using the Lord’s Prayer as our guide. Worship and fellowship are also included.